I got the December issue of Popteen the other day on my way to work...I've been buying magazines left and right recently! Popteen is actually a good magazine. It's geared towards the high school crowd, but they always have great tutorials and the clothes they feature are always wearable, not over-the-top sexy or anything...
I'm definitely NOT a gyaru, never have been. I do admire some of the styles though. Lately there are a lot of gyaru's who either keep their hair dark or dye it black or dark brown...so I took cues from several models in this issue and recreated their styles for a look that's subtle, but cute :)
Popteen December '08 issue
My inspiration...pale skin, BIG eyes! Japanese girls call this the 'dolly' look...
I love this girl's hair! I'm trying to grow mine out...it's taking forrreevverrrrr!!!
Her before and after...all I have to say is...WOAH!!! She used a NARS duo eyeshadow and lots of MAC eyeliner...and falsies of course :)
My take on the high school gyaru look...LOL
Lined my eyes with dark brown shadow, then lined them with dark black pencil and liquid liner. Made the lines thicker on outer half of the bottom lashline...
What I used
- I first prepped my eyes with Esprique Liquid Shadow in BE 300 (not shown). This stuff is great as an eyeshadow base!!! My eyeshadow did NOT crease at all!
- Then I used M.A.C:
* Shroom (top row, left) all over lids
* Soba (middle row, left) from lash line to crease
* Tempting (bottom row, right) to line my upper and lower lash line.
- I then line the top and bottom lash line with M.A.C Technakhol in Graphblack, and went over the lines with KATE Super Sharp Liner in black. I made the lines extra thick on the outer half of the bottom lash lines.
- I swept M.A.C blush in Well Dressed on the apples of my cheeks and highlighted the area above my cheeks with a NARS highlighter (I don't know the name, sorry).
- I'm wearing M.A.C lipstick in Peachstock with M.A.C Lip Glass in Pastel Emotion on top.
- I'm not wearing falsies b/c I don't find them very comfortable, plus I was only going out to the grocery store, LOL. I am wearing my fave Max Factor mascara though :)